Best Smart Home Energy Monitor 2020 Updated Review.
Smart home energy monitors offer a solution without requiring you to redouble your private efforts to remember to turn the lights off. These monitors are relatively easy to attach to your existing electrical panel. This article aims to guide you in selecting the best smart home energy monitor in 2020.
Smart Home Energy Monitor
With the sheer number of appliances, lights, and electronic devices we all use every day, it’s no wonder we burn through tons of electricity, even without intending to.
In many cases, American families and households use way more electricity than they actually need simply because they use certain electronic devices or appliances and leave them on by accident. This is not only bad for the environment but also puts an unnecessary drain on your energy bill.
Then, they’ll monitor your energy usage and can even break down which appliances or devices you use most frequently. In this way, the sensors can then send reports to your phone or computer and let you see in real terms how much money you are wasting or how much you could save.
However, smart home energy monitors can differ dramatically in terms of their applicability to certain electrical panels and their connectivity options. Some can be fully integrated into smart home networks while others are better as solitary devices. Still more can help you schedule when certain things should be turned off or provide alarms to make sure you don’t forget to shut off the kitchen light, for example.
Why Do You Need a Smart Home Energy Monitor?
These devices do right what they say in their names: they monitor your energy usage and can send you regular energy consumption reports so you and your family can become more informed and energy-efficient.
These products are usually offered as paired packages that include both a sensor or sensor kit and a proprietary app. The first part of the package is plugged into your existing electrical panel, and some kits may require you to call a professional electrician to perform the installation.
The proprietary app (which is normally available for any type of mobile device) that allows you to parse the gathered information or benefit from regularly transmitted energy consumption reports.
The app provides charts and other data broken down for easy understanding, so you’ll be able to track the electricity you use and even learn the times of day when you consume the most power. In this way, you’ll be able to better use your power and, in some cases, balance your energy consumption with the power you make from green devices like solar panels.
Some smart home energy monitors are designed for smaller or larger houses, while others can double as energy monitors for small commercial locations like neighborhood stores. Additionally, you should always check to make sure that a given energy monitor will work for solar panels. Only some monitors come with the required plugs for this feature.
Sense Energy Monitor
The Sense Energy Monitor is a perfect example of the basic concept. It comes in solar-friendly or non-solar variations, with the base unit plugging perfectly into any existing electrical panel. The nice thing about this particular energy monitor is that you can purchase the base unit without the solar attachment if you don’t currently have those panels.
But if you ever decide to upgrade to solar power for your home, you can pick up the additional solar sensors for just 50 bucks instead of having to buy an entirely new energy monitor.
- SENSE SAVES: Sense saves you energy and money by providing insight into your home’s energy use and activity.
- SEE WHAT’S UP. KNOW WHAT’S ON: Track how much electricity you’re using, what time your kids got home, or when someone leaves the basement light on. Sense identifies patterns in your energy use to help your family be more efficient, informed, and secure.
- MONITOR YOUR HOME’S ENERGY USE FROM ANYWHERE: Real-time data through our iOS, Android, and web apps.
- AVOID DISASTER: Set custom notifications for critical devices, like your sump pump, well pump, or flat iron.
- MEETS RIGOROUS SAFETY STANDARDS: Sense’s components and system have been designed and ETL/Intertek certified for installation and operation inside the electrical panel.
Emporia Vue Smart Home Energy Monitor
The Emporia Vue Monitor is much more budget-friendly compared to the Sense, even if you go with the basic unit instead of the solar version. However, there’s a huge trade-off for this lower asking price; the Emporia can only connect to certain smart energy meters located in Illinois, California, Pennsylvania, and Vermont.
Furthermore, the smart energy meters that work with this monitor are only provided by certain manufacturers or electric companies. This severely limits the number of people who can benefit from the Emporia’s services.
- INSTALLS IN CIRCUIT PANEL of most homes with clamp-on sensors. INSPECT YOUR ELECTRICAL PANEL for compatibility. Panels with access only to busbars will need flexible sensors available from the emporiaenergy website. Includes DIY instructions, though a professional electrician is recommended.
- 24/7 ENERGY MONITORING: Monitor your home’s real power anywhere, anytime to prevent costly repairs, conserve energy, and save costs. Monitor solar / net metering. Light commercial 3 phase option available as a separate bundle.
- APPLIANCE MONITORING WITHOUT GUESSWORK: Comes with up to sixteen (16) 50A sensors to accurately monitor your air conditioner, furnace, water heater, washer, dryer, range, etc.
- LOWER YOUR ELECTRIC BILL: Gauge real-time spending and get actionable notifications to understand where you can save costs.
- REAL-TIME ENERGY DATA: Vue connects to 2.4GHz WiFi to monitor energy use with iPhone / Android app. Vue sensors provide 1-second data and are accurate from ±1%.
- Net Metering for Solar Generation
- 3-Phase Option (with 3-phase bundle)
- Actionable Push Notifications
Eyedro Home Energy Monitor
This last smart energy monitor is more expensive than the Emporia but is still cheaper than the initial Sense option. The Eyedro is also particularly easy to install compared to the Sense, as it just requires you to click the included sensors around circuits that you want to be monitored.
This lets you tailor your monitoring to particular circuits and does require a little bit of knowledge about your home’s energy grid.
- DISCOVER HOW MUCH MONEY YOUR ELECTRICITY IS COSTING YOU IN REAL-TIME. See your usage change as you turn your devices on and off on MyEyedro.com. Check your usage ANYTIME, ANYWHERE, with your Smartphone, Computer or Amazon Echo.
- SAVE MONEY ON YOUR ELECTRICITY BILL, Monitor your usage using MyEyedro.com to check for inefficiencies and save money on your bill. The EHEM1-LV is also easy to install, within a few months of owning an Eyedro it will have paid for itself.
- YOUR ELECTRICITY, YOUR WAY! MyEyedro.com is the most detailed and reliable source to view your usage. You can customize the rate to match your utility. The EHEM1-LV includes Two 200A Sensors to connect to your cables, the EHEM1-LV is also a Single phase Electricity Monitor. That connects to the Internet using an included 10ft Ethernet cable.
- ARE YOU A LANDLORD OR HOMEOWNER WITH A RENTAL UNIT? You can track your tenants’ electricity usage, create custom reports and even share real-time usage information with your tenants.
- MYEYEDRO.com IS TRUSTED AND SAVING PEOPLE MONEY IN OVER 150 COUNTRIES. MyEyedro.com monitors your home energy use 24/7, Eyedro products are reliable and have been working for over 10 YEARS! Gives you comprehensive Daily, Weekly, Monthly and Yearly reports that are sent to your email directly.