WAVLINK USB-C Universal Docking Station 2021 Updated Review.
Connect HDMI screens or DisplayPort screens to corresponding ports respectively; then you can view HD images on one or two 4K screens (4096×[email protected]) so as to extent screens, play video games, watch clips or work on important projects, and so on. Here is a detailed review of the WAVLINK USB-C Universal Docking Station.
About WAVLINK USB-C Universal Docking Station
The WAVLINK USB-C Universal Docking Station is a beefy unit that’s tough and durable. With its anodized aluminum construction, it’s almost over-engineered. The sides, front, and back are smooth and glossy, which gives it a nice shine.
On the other hand, this glossy surface can also show fingerprints, which isn’t a desirable feature. The top has a brushed finish, which adds a touch of flair.
Towards the front, there’s a grey plastic panel that covers the right corner of the unit. We’re not really sure why this exists, but it breaks up the monotony of the plain black finish.
On the right-hand side, there’s a locking hole, which can be used to padlock the unit to your desk. Now, don’t get us wrong, the WAVLINK docking station isn’t cheap.
But it’s also not incredibly valuable. If someone’s going to steal your stuff, they’ll take your monitor before they take a docking station.
- Supports resolutions up to 5K (5120 x [email protected]) single display when using dual DisplayPort ports/ Dual 4K HDMI / HDMI +DisplayPort resolution up to 3840×[email protected]
- No matter if you’re connected to a Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C laptop, the USB-C Dock will charge a computer up to 60W. (Attention: computer must support Type-C charging capabilities, support for these features is determined by your laptop manufacturer)
- Gigabit Ethernet port gives access to superfast network speeds, provide rapid guest networking for you. 6x USB 3.0 ports for super transfer speed up to 5Gbps and 900mA of power, you can connect your USB peripherals or USB stick to solve external USB devices and high-speed file transfer for home office workers.
- System Support: Windows 10, 8, 7,& legacy XP systems. Plug and play driver installation via Windows Update. Surface RT/ Linux are not supported. (Please refer to Display Link website for more system compatibility)
- What is the box:1 x USB C Dual 4K Universal Dock station – 1 x 100W power adapter – 1 x USB Type C to C Cable – 1 x Instruction Manual. Multi-function operation performance, bring a new lifestyle for you. All of our products offer a 30-month limited warranty.
- Plug and play operation for most purposes.
- Also supports audio in and out.
- Supports 4K video.
- Rugged, durable design.
- Some drivers required for Mac.
- Some power limitations.
WAVLINK USB-C Technical Specifications
- Model: UG69PD2
- Ports: 2 x DisplayPort
2 x HDMI
4 x USB-A 3.0
2 x Type-C
1 x USB-C ( Connect to laptop )
1 x Audio Output Jack
1 x Microphone Input Jack
1 x RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet
1 x DC Power Jack Port
- Button: 1 x Power ON/OFF Switch
- LED: Blue
- Power Supply: DC20V / 5A
- Unit Dimensions: 220mm x 91mm x 28mm ( L x W x H )
- Housing Material: ABS
- Shell Color: Black
- Working Standards: Hub running at USB 3.0 speed
Upstream Charging 60Watt
DisplayPort or HDMI resolution Max. 4096 x [email protected]
Ethernet running at Gigabit
2.0 Channel Audio
- Operating System Support: Windows, Mac OS X
In The Box
- 1 x USB-C Universal Docking Station
- 1 x USB 3.0 C to C Cable
- 1 x USB 3.0 A to C Cable
- 1 x DC20V/5A Power Adapter
- 1 x User Manual
As we already said, the WAVLINK USB-C Universal Docking Station is only compatible with USB Type-C laptops. That said, it’s compatible with just about any laptop that meets that requirement.
You get support for Windows 8 and newer, as well as Mac OS X and newer. For most purposes, the docking station is completely plugged and play. You don’t have to worry about installing drivers or going through any kind of extended setup.
There is one exception to this, though. With Windows systems, you get the choice of extended or mirrored screens right out of the box. On Mac machines, however, the out of the box configuration is limited to mirrored screens only.
Additionally, to use an extended screen, in the InstantView UI, there’s a button “optional driver installation” for 1-click driver install.
It saves time for users who want to use an extended display, and don’t need to download the driver manually. In Windows 10, the 1-click driver installation can be completed in ~15 seconds.
The WAVLINK Universal Docking Station uses a System on the Chip (SOC) processing system. This is superior to many other docking stations, which rely on your machine’s GPU for processing.
In other words, your computer doesn’t have to deal with the entire monitor interface. It simply sends the data directly to the WAVLINK unit.
Inside, a secondary GPU will interface with the monitors. This takes a significant load off of your computer, so you can get the best possible performance.
As you can see, the WAVLINK (Model: WL-UG76PD2) USB-C Universal Docking Station has a lot to offer. To begin with, it’s very well-engineered. With a tough anodized aluminum case, it’s capable of taking a beating.
It’s also well vented. A grill on the front allows for plenty of airflows. As a result, it will stay cool even when it’s drawing a full 100 watts of power.
Admittedly, the power supply and maximum data bandwidth are a bit limiting. But considering you’re connecting a single USB Type-C cable, this is a matter of necessity. And you still get up to two monitors, up to four USB peripherals, Gigabit Ethernet, and even an audio jack.
Also, you can connect just about anything you want, with the exception of high-powered external hard drives. All in all, you’re looking at a very well-designed docking station.
The built-in power button and external power supply are just icing on the cake.